Tuesday 8 April 2014

On 12:04:00 am by Unknown   No comments


Those who think that nursing mothers do not have a place in the academic community need to have a rethink. So also are people who deride those whose parents or guardians are of poor academic background.

With the success attained by Chidinma Izuegbunem at the 26th convocation of the Rivers State University of Science and Technology, Port Harcourt, the above perceptions have no place in annals of an academic community.

Chidinma is not just a nursing mother, she is also a daughter of a truck driver. Her father drives the truck popularly called tipper.

At the university’s dome known as The Amphitheatre, the mother of one stole the show at the convocation ceremony, beating over 4,000 other graduates to emerge as the school’s valedictorian for 2013.

Besides, the Medical Laboratory Science graduate, who garnered a Cumulative Grade Point Average of 4.64, to become the shining star, received five of the nine awards on the occasion. These are the Vice-Chancellor’s Prize for Best Graduating Student; Dean’s Prize for Best Graduating Student in Faculty of Science; UNITECH Women’s Association Prize for Best Graduating Female Student; Prof. T.J.T Princewill’s Prize for Best Graduating Student in the Department of Applied and Environmental Biology (Microbiology option); and the Mrs. Daba Constance Odimabo Prize for the Best Graduating Female Student.

Her accomplishments drew applause from scholars, students, royal fathers as well as other dignitaries that attended the convocation.

 The mother of an 11-month-old baby, while speaking, said her success was not by accident as she prepared and worked hard to achieve a first class grade.

Beyond her industry, she acknowledged that God’s amazing grace also saw her through, putting her in good stead to ward off peer pressure on her way to emerging the best student in the university.

“My success is by the special grace of God and the efforts of my husband. I studied very hard. The issue of ‘sorting’ (paying lecturers for improved marks) does not arise because the Rivers State University of Science and Technology detests it.

“I started five years ago. When I was coming into the university, I had a target of making a first class. I made sure I came to school every day and did not skip lectures. Visual learning is my best form of learning.

“I preferred being in the class to listen to my lecturers, and watch their demonstrations. This is apart from reading my books in school and at home. I set a standard for myself from my Year One. My father, Emmanuel Izuegbunem, is a driver. He is a tipper driver,” she added.

But with this success, is Chidinma thinking of ending her career in the kitchen? ‘Tell that to the marines’ was her quick response, adding that she looks forward to attaining loftier academic heights very soon.

Indeed, according to the Igboukwu, Aguata Local Government of Anambra State-born graduate, she looks forward to becoming first a lecturer and then a minister of education or health.

0 comments:

Post a Comment