Tuesday 24 June 2014

On 7:45:00 am by Unknown   No comments

What manner of woman would feed her own child with arsenic – a slow working poison? Joybaba’s reckless youth produced a daughter but when she got married, she desperately sought to keep the girl out of sight. Until she decided to send her to the great beyond by feeding her with poison! Now she has fallen from grace to grass.
I am a beggar. I beg for alms at the bus stop in one of the busy streets in Lagos. I got hit by a fast moving vehicle three weeks ago while receiving alms from another vehicle. My injuries run the risk of being infected due to last of proper medical care. You see, I wasn’t born a beggar and, until six months ago, I was the proud owner of two exotic cars, lived in a beautiful duplex in a choice area of Lagos State with my husband who is a successful chartered accountant and our four sons. Don’t pity me. I am the architect of my own misfortune. I deserve what I am getting right now and even more. How? Sit back and let me tell you the story of how I became what I am today. You could learn a lesson or two from my experience.
        My name is Joybaba Felicia Oyegun. I was born from a very poor home. My father died when I was barely seven years old and my mother worked herself to the bones to ensure that I received good education. She was able to send me to primary and secondary school but when it was time for me to further my education, the story changed.
        “Joybaba, I know you have been working really hard in school. Your WASCE result is superb and I am proud of you. But I am sorry I don’t have the resource to make you further your education now,” she said to me the evening I broke the news of my WASCE result to her.
        “You could take up a job, work for a while and even save enough money to go to the university.”
        “No way,” I barked at my mother. I am going to get admitted into a university in September either by hook or crook.” With that I stormed out of the house angrily.
        My mother became my enemy from that day onward. I didn’t care if she had been trying her best or not. I changed overnight from a sweet loving daughter to a complete stranger in my house. I went out of my house with men old enough to be my grand fathers! I got pregnant along the line and gave birth to a beautiful daughter but that didn’t change me. As soon as the baby was born, I simply dumped her with my mother and got ready for school.
        I continued to live the same life in school until I met Donlisa. I was struck by his charm and carriage. He was so intelligent and didn’t have to woe me for long to have me. Donlisa changed me. I dumped all my lovers and sugar daddies and concentrated on him. Before long, Donlisa and I were talking marriage. I had to drop out of school to concentrate on marry Donlisa.
        I took Donlisa home to my mother and she blessed the union. Before we made our leave that day, she called me aside and said to me.
        Joybaba, my daughter, I think it’s proper for you to tell your husband about Kiki, your daughter.”
        “No way,” I replied. “She will remain with you in the village. Donlisa must never find out about her. I’ll send money to you from time to time for her education. I cannot risk losing what I have now” I concluded.
        Donlisa and I got married soon after and our children came in quick succession. We were soon able to buy a beautiful duplex and our house was littered with cars of all makes. Life couldn’t have been rosier, or so I thought.
        News came to me from the village that my mother had been killed in a car crash on her way to the market. I got to the village the following day and when Eno called “mother” and made to embrace me, I was filled with so much anger. “Look here; don’t call me mother, okay”
        I am taking you back to Lagos as my house help and you shall call me “Aunty” from now onward, okay?” I instructed.

        “Yes ma,” she replied obediently.

To be continue...

0 comments:

Post a Comment